Periodontics in Guelph
At our clinic, we offer periodontics care that helps you maintain a healthy and beautiful smile. Our team of experts utilizes the latest technologies and techniques to diagnose and treat gum disease.
What is peridontics?
Periodontics is a specialty in dentistry that deals with the prevention and treatment of diseases impacting the gums and structures around the teeth. Periodontists treat a condition called periodontal disease is commonly known as gum disease. There could be a few reasons for gum disease including plaque buildup and tartar, which can lead to an infection and inflammation of the gums. A periodontist will generally perform a thorough examination of the patient’s gums, teeth, bones and supporting structures.
What is early stage gym disease?
Early-stage gum disease is also called gingivitis and its also commonly known as periodontal disease. It is generally caused by a buildup of plaque and bacteria on the teeth and gums. Plaque forms on the teeth and it’s comprised of bacteria. If not removed by brushing or flossing, it can turn into tartar. Tartar can only be removed by a professional dentist via teeth cleaning.
If my gums are bleeding while flossing, does that mean my gums are bad?
If your gums are bleeding while flossing, it can be a sign of gum disease. However, bleeding gums can also be caused by other brushing too hard, or flossing roughly. If you haven’t flossed before, it’s common for your gums to bleed slightly as they are not used to the procedure. It is best to consult with a periodontist or a general dentist to determine the root cause. In general, good hygiene practices such as brushing twice, flossing and regular dental exams help prevent and diagnose oral health issues.
If your gums are bleeding while flossing, there are a few things you can do to help stop the bleeding and improve the health of your gums:
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles which can help clean your teeth and gums without causing irritation.
- Brush and floss correctly to avoid injuring your gums. When starting off, flossing must be done gently especially when you are close to the gyms.
- If you are experiencing pain, consult with a general dentist or periodontist to determine the cause of the bleeding to ensure you are treated correctly.
- If you are a smoker, you should quit smoking. Chemicals and nicotine in cigarettes can damage blood vessels, which can make it difficult for your gums to heal.
- Maintain a healthy diet, avoid acidic and sugary foods, and exercise regularly. This can help improve your overall health and subsequently improve the health of your gums.
What are different ways I can keep my gums healthy?
In order to keep your gums healthy, it is important to maintain good oral hygiene which includes brushing and flossing regularly. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned above, consider booking an oral assessment to diagnose and prevent gum disease.
What are some signs of early gum disease?
Common symptoms include swollen gums that bleed easily during brushing or flossing. You may experience bad breath and a bad taste in your mouth. In the initial stages, you can treat gingivitis with regular brushing, flossing and good oral hygiene. However, if not treated correctly, it can progress and lead to periodontitis which is a much more severe form of gum disease that can lead to bone and tooth loss.
Welcoming New Patients
If you are looking for a dentist in Guelph, look no further. We always welcome new patients of all ages. You can book a dental consultation with our team today to get started. We look forward to seeing you!